Monday, May 4, 2009

Tragic Ends To Some Of My Childhood Memories


This post is a bit of  depressing one. I was looking back at some of the films I loved as a kid and discovered many tragic tales associated with the stars of many of them. Here are a few that stand out that were not highly publicized.


Savannah Smiles - 1982










  This was one of my little sister's favorite movies as a a child. She was usually watching this or The Sound of Music constantly. I sat down at some point and watched it with her. I got pulled in and I've been a fan ever since. It's the feel-good child abduction film of the decade. For anyone who remembers it, I lose it when Savannah waves goodbye to Bootsie and Alvie. Bootsie says "I hope no one tells her we were bad guys" and Alvie replies calmly "It won't make no difference."

 It's an incredibly sappy film but who cares, I love it. I still have The Wild Bunch at the other end of the spectrum to balance it out. 
      The very sad thing I discovered is that Bridgette Anderson, the actress who plays Savannah, died of a drug and alcohol overdose in 1997 at the age of 21.  To imagine someone who represented the a great example of the joys of imagination and childhood innocence go down such a horrific path is depressing. If she had just listened to this song, perhaps things would have turned out differently. 


The Land Before Time - 1988








I went nuts for this movie after seeing it at the Laurel, MS $1 theater. I had the Pizza Hut puppets and then later the VHS. My favorite character was Ducky, the little Parasaurolophus.  Every animated film has to have the cute character with the catch phrase that every child across the country mimics. If you don't remember it, I'm not saying it here, Nope, nope, nope.
The very sad thing I found out in college (after watching the film yet again) was that Judith Barsi, the voice of Ducky, was killed along with her mother by her father. Pretty damn horrifying story if you choose to read about it. Judith had finished voice-over for one last film, All Dogs Go To Heaven, which was released after her death. 

The Monster Squad - 1987












Obviously in my top 5 movies of the 80's. I was overjoyed when it finally came out on DVD. They did a screening here in Los Angeles not too long ago and I got to hear director Fred Dekker come out and talk about it. I admit, it feels a lot like The Goonies. I never cared as a kid and I was saddened when Take Two Video's copy broke and they didn't get a new one. 
   Everyone's favorite Monster Squad member was Fat Kid a.ka. Horace. He's responsible for uttering the two most famous lines from the film:

          



And who could forget..


   Everyone likes to see the underdog kick ass by the end of the film. Sadly, tragedy strikes again. Brent Chalem, the actor who played Horace, died of pneumonia at the age of 22. I'm sure he would have enjoyed the cult following his work has garnered over the years. A shame indeed.













Stephen King's It - 1990 (TV)









 Terrifying TV movie I watched with my Dad back in 1990. Its still creepy to this day and I read that its being remade (that an issue I'll tackle another day). Jonathan Brandis made his big breakthrough in this one and became a huge success as a child star. He graced the covers of both Beats (Tiger and Teen). He starred in a number of other semi-successful vehicles over the years and found himself where all child stars end up, adulthood. He popped up in a few decent supporting roles in Ride With The Devil and Outside Providence towards the end of his career. Sadly at 27, he hung himself in his apartment. I think he would have done well continuing to play edgier roles and leaving his teen idol status behind. It's shame we never got to see it. 



        Now that I've depressed all of you, use this to pick up your spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment